Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Buds, Bongs & Brutal Beats...

Dopefight - Buds (2010)


Ok, ok, I dropped the ball slightly with this one. This was suppose to be one of the first albums I meant to review when I first started the blog but some how it slipped through the cracks. It was only when the track NOB.NOD.NOI came on my iPod while I was driving that my cock up suddenly dawned on me. So apologies there.
Anyway, on with the job in hand. 
I caught these guys live last year purely by fluke and was immediately impressed. I've seen the likes of Eyehategod, Soilent Green and Today Is The Day and Im pretty sure this brutal trio could easily hold there own against them. Needless to say I left that night with a cd, shirt and partial deafness. 
So what exactly are you in for? Well, 'enormous dirty weed laced doom' is really the best way to describe Dopefight. It sums them up to a tee, but Im sure you could probably guessed that by the cover artwork alone. Who says theres no truth in advertising anymore!? 
They have that rare quality shared by all the best stoner doom bands like Grief, Weedeater and Bongripper etc. Something you cant always quite explain, but something you're always aware of. Theres a ton of these kinda bands doing this kind of style all over the world, but very few of them doing it exceptionally well. Its all in the composition. You can down tune everything and crank the volume as much as you want but at the end of the day if you haven't got that underlying groove and epic riff writing skill then it just all falls short. Luckily these guys do have it, and have it in the bucket load. I can see them going far. It would be great if the likes of Southern Lord could spread their tentacles that little a bit further afield and take these fellas on. With the right backing, direction and a little bit of funding I'd put good money on these guys knocking together a genuinely classic stoner album on a par with Holy Mountain or Dope Sick. 
Buds is a blinding bit of DIY work, but if you really want to experience the band you have to see them live. If you're in the UK at the moment, keep an eye out for these guys in a town near you as they're current doing the rounds. Hit up their myspace for details. But in the meantime roll yourself a fat one and enjoy...
  
~ Jay

For Fans Of; Eyehategod, Buzzoven, Iron Monkey, Kamni, Black Cobra



No comments:

Post a Comment